What does that mean to you? During the time I have been away from the office I have had moments to contemplate what wellness means.
For me, wellness means a focus on holistic and natural approaches, self-healing and preventive care … healthy-living, self-help, self-care, fitness, nutrition, diet and spiritual practices. During my sabbatical I have come to more fully understand that I do not consider polluting your body with chemicals to be wellness. I find it truly amazing what a person can achieve when their focus is attuned to holistic wellness.
What is wellness?
The Global Wellness Institute defines wellness as the active pursuit of activities, choices and lifestyles that lead to a state of holistic health.
This brought me to the connection with Cranio-Sacral Reflexology and those Levels of Being … which I seem to always think of as Levels of Man for some reason. I found The Global Wellness Institute also highlights those areas as well:
- Physical: Nourishing a healthy body through exercise, nutrition, sleep, etc.
- Mental: Engaging the world through learning, problem-solving, creativity, etc.
- Emotional: Being aware of, accepting and expressing our feelings, and understanding the feelings of others.
- Spiritual: Searching for meaning and higher purpose in human existence.
Recognizing how a person – especially when confronted with an unexpected, or even a chronic health condition – needs to be aware of how the body is effected. For example: If a person receives a medical diagnosis – the physical level of being – we need to be aware that there will always be effects on the other levels – emotional, mental and the addition of a spiritual aspect noted above. So, how can you promote wellness during moments of illness?
At times “promoting wellness” means educating yourself, researching options, taking some time to acknowledge your fears, recognizing your strengths / your inner knowing and most importantly … listening.
Listening is a key component to Cranio-Sacral Reflexology.
Choosing to have Cranio-Sacral Reflexology, definitely a holistic treatment, is one way you can promote wellness within your body all year long and throughout your lifetime. Holistic means acknowledging the intimately interconnected parts of a person, not just one particular detail. You may be asking, “How exactly does that work?”
- A session begins with an intake – sharing information with the reflexologist. The obvious information shared is (usually) initially the physical aspect, since many clients come in for their first session due to discomforts in their body. However, many times the source, or root, of the discomfort is not really a physical issue.
- The physical discomforts a client reports in their body can be addressed via the crainosacral system. And, if choosing Cranio-Sacral Reflexology, there are areas located in the feet that can be helpful.
- For example: the spine is located on the medial (inside) arch of the feet. Each vertebrae can be treated along the inner arch of the foot, as well as the soft tissues (muscles, tendons and ligaments) located along the spine.
- Another example: in order to ease lower back discomforts we can bring our attention to the proximal arch area – meaning the portion of the arch closer to the heel and on the dorsal portion (top of the foot) as well as the plantar portion (sole of the foot) – and using reflexology techniques have effects in the lower back musculoskeletal areas of the body.
Connections are made.
As a client recounts the events surrounding their physical discomforts, many times the other Levels of Being are revealed. For you see, there are times an emotional or mental event happens – creating a shift within the body. This shift, however subtle it may be, effects the balance or homeostasis within the body, resulting in changes throughout the body. Over time the subtle shifts settle in to the fascia, tissues and organs – meaning there are physical changes in the body – causing discomforts and dis-ease within the body.
- The connection – between the physical, emotional and / or mental – is not always immediately obvious at the initial session, especially when time is brought in to the equation.
- For example, a client comes in for a session today reporting back pain. That day the pain is about an 8 out of 10 on the pain scale. After further questioning it is revealed that the pains have been happening on and off for the past 2 years, “it comes and goes.” There are times when the initial “injury” can be whittled down to a certain month or event, like “since Covid started” or “while hiking.”
After discussing the physical reason a client scheduled a session and a link to a certain timeframe has been established, I question: “What was going on in your life 2 years ago?” And this additional information may provide an emotional or mental connection to the physical discomforts. During session time we can assist the body to release and let go. This release may take place in the tissues of the body due to the physical touch, thanks to guided breath work mid-session, or even with the release of emotions while on the treatment table. Each type of release can assist the physical body to let go, allowing the discomforts to ease and may resolve the physical discomforts. And, in the process bring the body back in to balance and encouraging wellness throughout!
Why choose Cranio-Sacral Reflexology?
- Cranio-Sacral Reflexology is unique among other forms of reflexology. I incorporate assessment of the cranial bones and sacrum, as well as the cerebrospinal fluid flow at both the head and feet of my clients. Wellness is evaluated here by the movement of the individual bones and the smoothness of the cerebrospinal fluid flow. That fluid is liquid light … and during session time I am honored to be touching the soul of my client. I listen to all that soul is willing to share with me.
Wellness is important in all aspects of life – physical health, emotional well-being, mental clarity and spiritual health. My goal during session time is to always address each Level of Being – Physical, Emotional and Mental – and in the process bring balance to the entire body.
My own choices in the past 7 months have proven to me how it is truly amazing what a person can achieve when their focus is attuned to holistic wellness. You too can make wise choices when it comes to your health and well-being.